Tuesday, December 2, 2008

How to Induce Labor

Many of you have reached out wondering how we helped Melanie successfully induce labor. I thought that it might be useful to lay out last Saturday's activities so that those of you planning on having more kids will know how to get the ball rolling. The good news is that the formula is pretty simple--the bad news is that you will only be able to use this method if your baby is due in the end of November or early December.

The first piece of nature's birthing puzzle lies in the delicate wings of a butterfly--more precisely the Monarch butterfly. The butterflies spend the winter near Santa Cruz California and if you want to be successful inducing labor, that means that you will have to pay us a visit here in the bay area...consider it an open invitation.


Tyler and his friends Emma and Tyler Wirthlin walking down the trail to see the butterflies.
We're not sure exactly how the butterflies fit into inducing labor, but we figure that it has something to do with communing with nature. Living here in California has made us extra sensitive to mother nature and all of her granola goodness....



We had seen a few butterflies flying around and thought it was pretty cool, then another observer pointed out that the majority of the butterflies were still grouped together high in the trees.




Lots of butterflies.



The noble labor-inducing Monarch.


The next ingredient required to successfully induce labor is to be near the unending rhythm of the sea. We chose Natural Bridges Monument because of its proximity to the butterflies, but I'd guess anywhere with regular wave sets will do. It seems that the approaching and receding waves encourage contractions.
Big contraction-causing waves.
Grandma and Grandpa Lewis hoping that the waves get things moving with their very pregnant daughter.
Tyler looking longingly toward the sea for his soon to arrive little brother.
I'm not sure if you can tell from this picture, but Melanie is actually mid-contraction. Note the smile on her face indicating that we are still missing a key ingredient to full-blown labor.
The final step is to locate and fell your family Christmas tree deep in the wilderness. You will have to go full on Griswold on this one. To make sure that we were in the right spirit everyone but me got into the cheesy elf-face insert for the above photo, while I filled the mountain air with echoes of O Tannenbaum. Magical...
After hiking around the side of a mountain for the better part of an hour, my proginy laid claim to the tree behind them in the picture. We had heard that the scent of evergreen sap helps to lure out the baby, so we kept Mel's nose close to the saw as I took down one of mother nature's best.
The sacrificial tree strewn with ornaments.
Butterflies + Ocean Rhythm + Felled Evergreen=Austin
We've proven this can work--now we are offering the recipe to all of our friends and family before we go to market with this to turn a buck or two. Let us know when you want to come out!!!--Mike









7 comments:

jodi said...

Okay I will for sure time my next baby around the butterflies! Although I do not want to be 8 cm when I get to the hospital! Congrats on that new little bundle, he is beautiful!

Kimberlee said...

You are seriously a dork, but I love ya. That was a good time. So what is the ancient California secret to getting pregnant. I'll be waiting for your reply.

Sarah said...

If I was your sister, I'd call you a dork too. Since I'm just a cousin-in-law, I will instead say that you are SOOOO FUNNY, Mike! I can just see you composing this post with all the creative juices flowing. Sounds like you had a great day and an even better end to a great day.

Congratulations again!

I think Ryan is secretly hoping that this new baby will divert your attention long enough for him to emerge victorious in the Droubay FF league. Don't let it happen! We do NOT want this going to his head! J/K

Cheri said...

Too funny Mike. You should write as a profession. :)

And, I'm glad your pictures aren't copyrighted becuase I'm off to steal them and use them as mine. Bwahahaha.

HeatherD said...

Holy smokes that would be so cool to see those butterflies. That looks like fun to cut down your own tree. Miss you guys!

dersley said...

Congrats! And Little Austin is SOOOOO cute. Now I wish I was still in California so I could come by and see him. And I hope you are getting some sleep.

So, we were apparently following you around the day of your Labor Induction. We went to see the monach butterflies in Santa Cruz that saturday too and then when to that same exact beach. It was one of the prettiest days in Santa Cruz I have ever seen. I'll have to remember to go back there again if I ever find a way to be pregnant.

It was so fun to see you a few weeks ago and I am so excited you have such a cute little newborn. Congrats!

Unknown said...

I think my water just broke...