Sunday, November 30, 2008

Austin (TBD) Droubay!!!!


Yes, it has finally happened!! This morning at 12:51 AM Austin officially joined our family. Other than a pronounced lack of sleep, mother and baby are doing great. He weighs in at a slim 6 pounds 6 ounces and is 19 1/2 inches long. He has long fingers and a pretty even layer of fuzz all over his head. Now that all of the important details are out of the way, I'll share a bit about how things played out yesterday.
Saturday morning we decided that we would take a bit of a day trip. Melanie was feeling good, the weather was phenominal and we were all pretty sick of hanging out around the house so we all piled in our car with grandma and grandpa Lewis (who were visiting for Thanksgiving) and headed for the coast. We had a great day looking at the Monarch butterflies resting during their migration, walking along the beach and cutting down a Christmas tree. Melanie was a trooper and walked up and down the mountain side in search of just the right tree for the better part of an hour.

Apparantly all of the climbing did the trick because after we got home in the evening she started having pretty regular, stronger than usual contractions. Things were pretty significant by about 9:30 or so, but Melanie wanted to make sure that she was actually in labor before heading in to the hospital. You see, since she is a labor and delivery nurse she thinks that getting sent home by fellow nurses would be the ultimate humiliation. After a few more very strong, increasingly painful contractions she finally agreed to go in. Long story short, when we got there she was measuring an 8 and delivered within about 2 hours of arriving at the hospital.



Things went very fast and we worried that she wasn't going to be able to get her epidural in time. She was in a lot of pain, but held herself together far better than I did. She gritted her teeth, let out a few Mormon cuss words (I remember a lot of "crap" "o my gosh" "gosh dang it" and "shoot" flowing) and squeezed the blood out of my hands to get through the labor pains. Eventually the epidural was in place and she got enough medication in her system to take the edge off of the actual delivery. After 5 good pushes Austin was out and crying. Awesome. Tyler and Kenzie came to the hospital this morning and took turns holding their baby brother. They will be great siblings and I'm somewhat confident that Austin will survive their company.....



I'm always amazed at the kind of person that my wife is, but I don't think I've ever been more proud of her than I was last night--she was dominant. It was wonderful to have Melanie's parents here to help in the delivery room and take care of Ty and Kenny at home. Thank you Lewises!!! We have realized how much we miss all of our family in other places and wish that we were closer so that we could see you all and enjoy your company, but we are aware of your prayers and thoughts. Thanks for all of your prayers and thoughts--we will keep you posted as things happen over the next weeks. I'm posting a lot of pics--hopefully they all show. We love you all--Mike


Visiting baby brother.


I'd forgotten how much newborns like to do this.

Bundled up.


Tyler doing a great job of holding Austin.


Kenzie making us a little nervous.
We hope that he keeps sleeping as well as he has so far.









17 comments:

Anonymous said...

HE IS BEAUTIFUL! I'm so happy for you guys! Good job Mel! I can't believe you were already at an 8 when you got to the hospital. Great entry Mike! Thanks for spending the time to show us eager and excited friends of the family!! CONGRATS!!!

Alyssa and family!

Chris said...

Congratulations! He is so cute. And so tiny! We can't till we get to meet him.

HeatherD said...

Yay! I was hoping you would get pictures up. I have been thinking about him all day. I am so happy for you guys. Call me crazy, but the first second I saw the picture I thought of baby Tyler. He is adorable. Mel, call me when you get home!
We love you guys!!

HeatherD said...

Okay, I am a total retard. I just went back and read the post again and looked at all the pics again and now I have to comment again. He is such a beautiful baby. Mel is such a trooper. I would give anything to be there to meet him in person. Keep the pictures coming.

Erika said...

Congratulations!! I am so glad that everything went well with your delivery. He is very cute. You have a beautiful family.

Angie Lewis said...

Congrats, Mel & Mike! We sure wish we could be closer to come and see him....we're really going to have to come out there one of these days!

Kimberlee said...

He totally looks like Tyler. He is beautiful. Glad all is well. Hopefully we will get to meet him soon. Love you guys!

Kelli said...

Congrats! He is so beautiful, hope all continues to go well! We love you guys-

neuroticmom said...

Mel, you are awesome! Thst's sort of how I had Lucy only I was saying REAL curse words. I'm a baby! Austin is darling! I think he looks like you, Mel. i can't wait to see him i person. Mike, your job is to keep lots of pictures coming because newborns change so fast. Congratulations!

Ryan, Jaina, Austin & Keeton said...

It never ceases to amaze me at what little miracles each of these precious little ones are. Congratulations on a beautiful healthy boy.

Jaclyn said...

Melanie-
Congrats! I am so excited little Austin is here. He is soo cute. Yes, they do sleep alot. I am glad you got your epidural and that everyone is healthy. Take care.
Jaclyn

Sarah said...

YAY for the newest Droubay!

Sooo happy for you guys. He is so cute (I of course mean that in a manly sense). I was showing Annie and she said "is that the Tyler that came to lake powell when he was a little kid?"

What a dork! I am most impressed by Mel's choice of cuss words. Thanks for posting pictures so quickly!

Congrats again.

Laura said...

Congrats Melanie and family! I loved reading the story- made me laugh when I read that getting sent home by other L/D nurses is the ultimate humiliation :) So sad, yet understandably so true! He's a beautiful little boy, and I'm so glad that things went so well (despite many hours without an epidural :( )!

Unknown said...

Favorite line: "she was dominant." Classic. We're so happy mom and baby are well. You have a great family!

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful. I love your story and how busy you were the day of his delivery. Natural Bridges is my happy place. Now it will be yours too! And Mike, you're a luckky guy. When I labored without an epidural, in addition to the Mormon curse words...I actually bit my husband!

Thomas family said...

Mel its Maren Im still not in the blogging world so Im using Mindys.
Austin is so cute, I cant believe he's already here. We miss you at work and me and mindy will be sending you a card. We dont have a ugly one yet, but were going to make you one. lol LOVE YOU

Brittany and Steve Macbeth said...

Congratulations! He is adorable. What a nice Thanksgiving blessing.