Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Beginning of the End

So.... it's started. The beginning of the end. How do I know this?? Because I woke up in the middle of the night last night in excrutiating pain with my first "charlie horse" of the pregnancy. I had forgotten how much I hate those things. They always sneak up on me while I'm sleeping. Out of nowhere they attack and then there isn't really anything I can do but writhe around in bed saying "Ow, ow, ow" and "shoot" until it's gone. It seems like they shouldn't hurt so much- after all it's just an extreme muscle cramp in a way, right? They make me feel like a wimp but part of it, I think, is that I can't prepare for them since I am sound asleep when they hit. And poor Mike.... I think he thought I was having a bad dream last night when I started crying until I said, "NO, my leg my leg". Today I've been walking around with a limp because my muscle is so sore. And it feels like another "charlie horse" might attack that leg at any moment if I make a wrong move. So unfortunately that's how I know that the dreaded third trimester has started.

5 comments:

Cheri said...

Hooray for the 3rd trimester! Boo for charlie horses! I got them a ton with my first pregnancy but not at all this time, and I couldn't be more glad. I hope you (and Mike) manage to survive it all!

Jaclyn said...

Mel-
Yes, I hate those too! I got them a ton with Gracee and they are no fun... Hey where is Lost?? Ypur blog birthday pics are so cute.
Jac

Sarah said...

Poor Mel! I hope it doesn't get too bad. Did Mike think you were having your own Wookie nightmare? ha ha ha. What was THAT all about? I sort of heard bits and pieces while they were doing their fantasy football draft. Sounded kinda weird to me, but whatever.

My favorite 3rd trimester pasttime is taking stairs one at a time with a side of heavy breathing.

neuroticmom said...

I finally figured out that if I don't straighten my legs or stretch them at all or flex my feet or anything like that, then it helped me not get charlie horses anymore. See if that helps :)

neuroticmom said...

Oh, and eat lots of bananas. Potassium is supposed to help.